These days technology is growing rapidly because of that, now developers have solutions for all kinds of problems; for example, you can use an Antivirus program to protect your system from the virus, or if somebody steals your laptop, then you can use tracking software like “Find My Device” app to track down your laptop. Don’t worry; you just need a stable internet connection to activate this feature and track it down.
You might think laptops are not always connected to the internet, but you can track them down. Read this article to find out how to track a laptop and what is the problem you might be facing.
- Can You Track a Laptop if the Tracking Software is Disable?
- Different Methods to Track a Windows Laptop
- Different Methods to Track a mac Laptop
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Final Words
Can You Track a Laptop if the Tracking Software is Disable?
According to the developers, if you have a windows laptop, you can track your device by using tracking software like the “Find My Device” app but keep this in mind you need to activate this tracking feature before it gets stolen. Other than that, with the help of Gmail, Dropbox, or Facebook, you can track your device.
With the help of an IP address, you can track your stolen laptop, depending on your device’s latest activity. If you have a mac book, you can use the “Find My Mac” or “iCloud” app to track your device.
Different Methods to Track a Windows Laptop
If you are using a Windows laptop, there are many ways to track your device; for example, you can use third-party apps like Facebook and Gmail; otherwise, use an inbuilt app like “Find My Device” for tracking.
All these apps are free to use and provided by the developers. I suggest you try each method for tracking your device because you will never know which method will work for you until you try it.
Use the Find My Device app to track a Windows Laptop
Find My Device is one of the easiest methods to track your windows laptop. It’s built-in software; just go to “Settings” from there, and you can activate this feature. If you don’t know how to activate it, follow the below steps to activate your tracking feature.
- On the Right-side corner, you can see a notification option tap on it and find the “All Settings” option, then click on it to open.
- Now look for an “Update & Security” option and tap on it to open.
- On the left side, look for the “Find My Device” tab, then tap on it. After that, you can see a “Find My Device: ON/OFF” option; below that, tap on the “Change” option to enable this feature.
- After completing all the steps, go to the Microsoft official web page and log in to your account; then, you can track your device’s last location on the map.
Track Your Laptop by Using IP Address with Gmail ID
The IP address is a unique internet address of your device which can be used to track your device or find the owner’s details. Follow the steps mentioned below to find your device’s IP address. You can also track your laptop by using Gmail.
- First, log in to your Gmail account, then open it.
- On the bottom right corner, you can see a “Details” option tap on it to open.
- A new window will pop up on your screen; you have to find your stolen device and then note the IP address.
- After that, report to the higher authorities to track your device.
Track Your Laptop by Using IP Address with Dropbox
If you don’t know your laptop IP address, you can find it with the help of a Dropbox app. Follow the steps mentioned below to find your IP address to track your device. It will take a few minutes to complete the process.
- First, log in to your Dropbox account, then open it.
- On the top right corner, you can see an “Account” option tap on it.
- After that, look for the “Settings” option, tap on it and then choose the “Security” option.
- Now, look for your stolen device, then note the IP address to report to the higher authority.
Different Methods to Track a mac Laptop
There are two ways to track a Mac if it gets stolen. Both Mac and Windows laptops have similar methods to track your device. You can use the “Find My Device” or “iCloud” app to track your stolen device.
Use the Find My Device app to track a Mac Laptop
The process is kind of similar to Windows just activate the “Find My Mac” feature and go to their official web page to track your device. Make sure to turn on your location device. Don’t worry; completing the process will take a few minutes.
- On the dashboard, look for a “System Preference” option, then tap on it to open the menu.
- After that, log in to the iCloud account using your Apple ID.
- Now look for a “Find My Mac” option, then activate it. If it is asking permission to use the location of your Mac device, then allow it.
- Now look for the device which got stolen and track it down.
- On the map, you can see your stolen device location, then lock your device location. You can also lock your device so nobody can access your personal data.
Use iCloud My Device App to track a Mac Laptop
iCloud is one of the popular tools among Apple users. You can say it has an anti-theft feature which means it can track your device, and if your device gets stolen, then you also have the option to erase your data or lock it so nobody can access your personal data.
- First, go to the iCloud official web page and log in to your account using Apple ID details.
- Now, look for a “Find My Phone” option, then tap on it to open.
- Then find your stolen laptop details then select it.
- After that, automatically device location will be displayed on the screen.
- If your device location isn’t showing on the screen, your laptop is off, or it is not connected to any active network. iCloud has another security feature. Whenever your device gets connected to a network, it will send you the last location of your device.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can You Track a Stolen Laptop by Using Serial Number?
According to the reports, you need special software and serial numbers to track any device worldwide. Nowadays, there are tons of software available on the internet, but I recommend you to go with the Prey app.
If a Desktop Gets Stolen, Can We Track It Down?
If your desktop gets stolen, you can track it down with the help of your device’s IP address. Otherwise, your device should connect to an active network, and only you can track it down.
Can You Track a Laptop if it is Off?
According to the reports, you can’t track your laptop if your device is switched off. Only you can track your stolen device if your device is connected to an active network or turned on.
In this article, we discussed how to track a laptop. I also explained different methods to track your device, and the methods mentioned above will definitely work for you; I can assure you that. If you have any doubts in your mind, then feel free to tell us in the comment section.