In the modern day, gadgets like laptops and smartphones are becoming an essential part of our life because if you are an IT employee or a freelancer, then most of the work is completed with the help of these devices.
Technology is growing rapidly and has become so advanced that now if your smartphone gets stolen or you forgot somewhere and can’t remember, you can use the “Find My Device” tool to track your device. In 2019, December this feature was added to Windows operating system. It is quite a helpful feature.
Read this article until the end to find out how to enable this feature on your Windows device. Don’t worry; the process is simple and easy to understand, so if you still use a PC or laptop for the first time, you can do it on your own.
What is ‘Find My Device’?
“Find My Device” is a popular feature among smartphone and laptop users. It is used for tracking your smartphone or laptop location. On 2013 December 11, this feature was launched, and now it is available for many different platforms, such as Android, iOS, Windows, etc.
Let me give you an example so you will understand better; let’s say that you have a Windows Lenovo laptop, and somehow it gets stolen, and you want to track your computer using the “Find My Device” feature. It will give you the exact location of your device, and it’s a handy tool if we compare it with other tracking features.
How to Enable/Disable ‘Find My Device’ in Windows 10?
There are many ways to enable or disable the “Find My Device” feature in your Windows 10 laptop. This feature is available for Windows 10 and 11 operating systems. Here I mentioned a few simple and easy-to-understand methods to activate this feature.
The Registry Editor method is similar to the Local Group Editor method. The “Find My Device” feature is off, so you have to activate this feature manually. Before starting the process, make sure to turn on the location service (also known as GPS).
- Press the “Windows and R” buttons at the same time, then hold it for a few seconds; a Run box will appear; there, you have to type “regedit” and click on the “Ok” option.
- After that, it will ask permission to make some changes in your system, and you have to tap on the “Yes” option.
- Now a “Registry Editor” window will appear on your display there, and you have to type “Hey_Local_Machine\Software\Polices\Microsoft” and then press the “Enter” button.
- Now, on the left side corner, look for a “FindMyDevice” option; if you can’t find this file, you must create a key.
- Now you look for a “Microsoft” file right click on it; after that, a box will appear there; you can see a “Name” option tap on that; another box will appear there you can see a “Key” option tap on it.
- After that, rename the Key file as the “FindMyDevic” file.
- Now select a Subkey.
- Move the mouse towards the right side, and right-click on the panel; you can see a “New” option tap on it, then choose the “DWORD (32-bit) Value” option.
- Now name it “AllowFindMyDevice.”
- Now double-tap on that option.
- You can see a “Value data” option, and you must type 1.
- Now tap on the “Ok” option.
Previously I mentioned the “Valve data.” If you change the value to 1, the “Find My Device” feature will be enabled, and if you change the value to 0, this feature will be disabled.
Through Windows Settings
Check out this method if the previous way is not working on your device. You can enable the “Find My Device” feature on your Windows machine from the settings. This method will work on most devices. If you don’t know how to activate or deactivate this feature, follow the below steps.
- First, press the “Windows” button, then on the left side corner, you will see a “Settings” option; click on it to open.
- After that, you can see a “Privacy & Security” option tap on it to open.
- On the left side, you can see a “Find My Device” tab; click on it.
- Now look for a “Find My Device: ON/OFF” option below that you can see a “Change” option tap on it to enable or disable this feature. Most of the time, this feature is disabled by default, so you have to enable this feature manually.
- After that, you can see a “Turn off the location settings” option and tap on it to open.
- Now look for the “Location access for this device” below that you can see a “Change” option click on it and turn on the location settings.
Through Local Group Policy Editor
If the above methods are not working on your device, then you can try the Local Group Policy Editor method. The Local Group Policy process is similar to the Registry Editor. Follow the below steps to enable the “Find My Device” feature.
- First, press the “Windows and R” buttons at the same time, then hold it for a few seconds; after that, a Run box will appear; there, you have to type “gpedit.msc” and then look for an “Ok” button and tap on it.
- On the left side, you can see an “Administrative Templates” option then tap on it to open the file.
- On the right side, you can see a “Windows Component” option tap on it to open the file.
- Now search the “Find My Device” option then double tap on it to open the file.
- Now you can see a “Turn On/Off Find My Device” option; double tap on that.
- After that by default, it is set to the “Not Configured” option change it to the “Enable” option.
- Now tap on the “Ok” button to complete the process.
During Windows Setup
If the methods mentioned earlier are not working, check out this method; it might work for you. While installing Windows 10, you can enable the “Find My Device” feature.
- While installing the Windows 10 operating system, look for the “Choose privacy settings for your device option” and tap on it.
- After that, you can see a “Find My Device” option and set it to “Yes.”
- It will take just two or three steps to complete the process.
If you want to track your laptop but need to know the process, follow the below steps.
– First, go to the Microsoft official web page, then log in to your Microsoft account.
– After that, you can see a list of devices; between them, find your laptop brand and model name, then tap on it. Below that, you can see a “Find My Device” option tap on it.
– After completing all the steps, it will start tracking your device location.
1. First, go to the Microsoft official web page, then log in to your account.
2. After that, you can see a list of devices; between them, find your device and tap on it; below that, you can see a “Find My Device” option; click on it.
3. Now it will start tracking your device; when it shows the location on the map, select the “Lock” option and click on the “Next” button.
4. After locking the device, you can reset your password.
This article discussed how to use Find My Device in Windows 11, 10, and 7. After checking out this article, I’m sure you will understand the process to enable or disable this feature; if you have any queries, then feel free to tell us in the comment section.